Thanks for the article link, but your proposed change isn't valid
JQuery, is it? My exact jQuery code to read in the value looks like
this:
pageID = $(this).attr("href");
Adding what you suggested to make it $(this)[0].attr("href") will not
do anything apart from force the link to be followed.

I think I'm going to have to move the contents of href to rel instead.