Excellent use of trigger to fire the function once on page load

> Yes, yes, you are correct. I am outputting the javascript from php,
> which was interpreting $epc because the inline string was wrapped in
> double quotes. I reversed everything (using double quotes internally)
> and now the variable isn't getting improperly stripped out.

Although not jquery related - I would suggest always using php
variables outsite a string and use single quotes.
It enables proper syntax highlighting in editors and makes the code
easier to read for you and any future developers.

'This is a ' . $value . ' with php ' . $variables " . in it'

is far easier to spot in a 1000 line php file than

"This is a $value with php $variables in it"

and the processing speed difference is negligable