> From: John H
>
> Michael, this is excellent and very instructive--thanks!

Glad it was helpful, John.

> I had to remove the dollar sign from $epc otherwise Firefox
> reported "missing variable name".

That doesn't sound right - there must have been something else causing that.

$epc is a perfectly valid variable name: the $ character is treated exactly
like a letter in JavaScript variable names. It's a common (and recommended)
convention in jQuery code to use a leading $ on a variable name that
contains a reference to a jQuery object, as in this code:

    var $epc = $('#edit-profile-country');

If you still have a test page showing the error, I'd be curious to see it
(either a link or the page source).

> I assume by your exclusion that wrapping the whole thing with $
> (document).ready(function() is unnecessary and is only used
> when you want to be absolutely sure the document is fully loaded.

$(fn) is simply a shorthand for $(document).ready(fn). They do exactly the
same thing.

-Mike