Thanks for prompting me to go back into my CSS and overhaul it. I've
solved the issue and now have consistency across all modern browsers
(that not including IE7 of course, which I'll see to with conditional
comments). Many thanks for your help guys.

This still leaves the issue of targeting browsers with JS/jQuery. A
friend of mine just recommend: http://www.quirksmode.org/js/detect.html