PNG graphics with alpha channels are not an exotic luxury.  For a
broad spectrum of site design approaches - basically anything
involving interesting backgrounds or varying page components over
which dynamic content may be rendered - not having PNG support means
scrapping the design or going to an enormous amount of trouble to do
appropriate GIF versions of border/frame images.

I applaud anybody that decides to make the effort and live within
tight 9-year-old design constraints in order to support IE.  (I think
mobile browsers are a totally separate issue - it's a matter of
opinion, but I definitely feel that for a host of usability reasons
far beyond this or that CSS feature, a good application design for
mobile use is likely to be much different than that for a
desktop/laptop.  Note that I said "application" design, because that's
what I do; content-oriented websites may be different, but I admit
ignorance.) I also understand the frustration and the pragmatics.

--
Turtle, turtle, on the ground,
Pink and shiny, turn around.