cheers for that liam,

i'd thought about assigning incremental ids on the fly since i'm
already using the element's id to select them in the slab'o'crap being
eval'd, but afaik xhtml elements can only have one attrib type ID
can't they? since it's just a fluffy graphical thing i don't really
want to grab all the id attribs that might be being used elsewhere but
it me thinking, i could just assign classed like .bigUniqueString_1
and just strip out the last character for comparison.

will have a fiddle around with that.