i had a look at your method last night, and i ran into the same
problems i did trying to use setTimeout and $arr.each() to iterate the
func. If i do...

for (i=1; i<=$arr.length; i++) {
  var tmp = self.setInterval( "rndAnim("+i+")" , 2000 );
}

...then [ i ] instances of rndAnim execute simultaneously after
2000ms, and whilst this repeats with setInterval where setTimeout
doesn't, all [ i ] rndAnim() always happen simultaniously so i can't
stack up a chain of animations.