the problem with jquery animation effects is that you can easily chain
effects on a single element, but unless you specify a timer of some
description or utilise the callback, effects on different elements
will execute simultaneously as you're finding.

unfortunately you really aren't going to know how far into the
animation it is (you can find out by checking the opacity of the el,
but that's probably A Very Bad Idea) so whilst it seems like the most
obvious method, if you want to just stop  the new mouseover func
executing until the animation has finished you'd need to make the
mouseover function setTimeout("yourActualFunction("+el.attr('id')+")",
x)  where x is the max length the anim could be.

the nearest solution to what you want sounds like it would be using a
conditional statement to determine if there was a menu animation
happening on the initial mouseover event, and if there was checking
the element now under the cursor in the callback.

i'd be tempted to .stop() anything that's :animated on mouseover
before you start the new .fadeTo()   ;)