ah yes i forgot.

you would get access denied when tried to change an input type property

the best way is to have two input types and just hide one and show the other

but i have a solution for you
the html

        <!-- The following html of two input types - we gonna switch between
them-->
        <input type="text" class="textinput" value="Passowrd" />
        <input type="password" class="passinput" value="" />

the css

            /*    first we need to hide the password input*/
            .passinput {
                display:none;
            }

the js

        <script type="text/javascript">
            $(function() {
                // declare your input types
                var textinput = $(".textinput");
                var passinput = $(".passinput");
                // on text input focus - hide text input and show and focus
on password input
                textinput.focus() {
                    textinput.blur();
                    textinput.hide();
                    passinput.show();
                    passinput.focus();
                });
                // on password input blud hide password input and show and
focus on text input
                passinput.blur(function() {
                    passinput.blur();
                    passinput.hide();