Thanks, I tried it. It turns out that !important gives precedence to a
property that has been later trumped by a more proximate designation.

In my app., ".placemark" will be a class of items below state with
id="AL."

I was able to control it in CSS to where ONLY the parent's attributes
do not apply to them.

.placemark
{
font-size:12px;
margin-left:5px;
padding:0;
color: black;
font-style: normal;
cursor: default;
text-decoration: none;
}

However, the jquery mouseover/mouseout is not working.  If I mouseover
a placemark (which is a child of state), I want placemark to turn
blue, but I want no effect on parent.  If I mouseover parent, I want
only parent to turn blue and not any placemarks.

It seems all the logic is there, so I don't know why my mouseover/
mouseout is not working.

$(".placemark").mouseover(function()
{
    $(this).css({ "color" : "blue!important"});

}).mouseout(function()
    $(this).css({ "color" : "black!important"});