"but I can't quite get my head around how to use those methods"

The docs:

http://docs.jquery.com/Manipulation/replaceWith
http://docs.jquery.com/Manipulation/replaceAll

would be the place to understand those methods, which just reading the
first few lines of each

"Replaces the elements matched by the specified selector with the
matched elements"
"Replaces all matched elements with the specified HTML or DOM
elements"

makes it pretty clear they are not for simple text replace...

$('#TextAreaID').val($('#DivID').html().replace("<br />", ""));

jQuery is not the answer for everything, sometimes simple JavaScript
(which deep down jQuery is using anyways) is the solution