> 3. I have set this response as the content of an empty div.
>
> That select element appears well, but maybe it doesn't appear as a DOM
> member, so that's why I can't attach an event handler to it.

If you place HTML code inside an element that is in the DOM tree (like
the empty DIV in your example), than the code gets parsed and all HTML
elements inside the code are added to the DOM tree...

Basically, if you can see it on the page, than it's in the DOM
tree....

I noticed in your code above, you used the wrong name for the
method... it's called "change", not "onchange"....

 $('#term2').change(function(){
   window.location = "http://www.google.com/";;