I made a quick mock up of this to try to find the problem. As you have both
stated, the problem only occurs in IE (I only tried it on IE6). However, I
rewrote the following and this works on IE6. The problem seems to occur when
you add selected="selected" to the second option value.

  "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd";>
    <head>
/>
        <title>Sandbox</title>
            body { background-color: #000; font: 16px Helvetica, Arial;
color: #fff; }
        <script type="text/javascript" src="
http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.4/jquery.min.js";></script>
        <script type="text/javascript">
            $(document).ready(function(){
                $("#mySelect").change(function(){
                    alert($(this).find("option:selected").val());
        </script>
    </head>
        <select id="mySelect">
            <option value="1">Value 1</option>