Funny thing is, my lead engineer said the same thing...

Mostly this was an experiment to gain a better understanding of DOM
outside of HTML. This is about as exciting as a SAX parser when it
comes to speed (<5sec in safari for 20K lines, slightly longer in
FireFox, and noticeably longer in Chrome), though it is fairly
efficient, and gives me exactly the results I was wanting to see.
There are some practical applications.

Realizing that there is only so much memory out there more efficiency
is what I am going for, so any input on this script is helpful. I have
approached it this way because I get XML and DOM, and I am getting
decent at jQuery. Thus this method was in my range of current
understanding. JSON is something that I am just now becoming more
familiar with.