On 12/19/10, cihat altuntas <cihat.altun...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have beeing working on 20k Big Ball of Mud
> <http://www.laputan.org/mud/> legacy
> javascript code base. It's a xml based custom ASP.NET web framework to
> design and bind to database screens quickly to web pages.Almost there is
> no unobtrusive javascript. All javascript code are functions, no
> namespace,no objects,no no modules and these functiouns are called by inline
> event handler from dom elements.It is not cross-browser code and only works
> in IE. Some of the functions contains 1000 lines of JS code,20 switch
> statements etc etc.. And it's getting bigger and bigger everyday.

Getting bigger is a problem, but even worse that additionally it only
works in IE.

> Have you ever been worked on a Legacy Javascript code base like this ? If
> yes What are the strategies that I can use for this legacy Javascript code
> ?Thanks..
I've worked on legacy code, sure.

One approach that can work is to find a sore spot that needs the most
attention and redo it, starting with requirements of what exactly the
thing should do. The logistics of doing that depends some things, like
other people, time schedules, and communication and understanding.

Acceptance testing can play a role in verifying the functionality
during the change.

It can be very frustrating, particularly with thick headed managers
who say "lets just hurry up and get this done." But it can be very
satisfying to do this when the resulting code is free from all of
those pain points that made it inflexible and buggy, and is instead
flexible, clear and easy to read and changeable without fear of
breaking things and isn't in constant QA churn.
--
Garrett