> [snip top posted prev msgs].
> See also:
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Interleaved_style>
>
> The technical ideas are fine, but I do not agree that they are the
> solution. And actually, in this case, pulling everything into one
> large global function will result in a one big function.
>
> Doing that just transfers the ball of mud from being global to being
> namespaced. No benefit is gained. It can actually be harder to work
> with. I remember `YAHOO.mst.code`; where they'd taken the "Crockford"
> module pattern and placed all of the application code in a closure.
> The interface object did not have a specific role. Trying to extract
> thing like the tooltip code from that 1100+ line blob of a closure was
> difficult. There were parts related to the scheduler, and I can't
> remember what else.
>
> I did then what I advocate now: I attempted to organize and group bits
> of functionality into abstractions. Even if the abstraction is only
> used in one place, just take that chunk out and put it on its own,
> away from the page implementation code. That way, it was easier to
> read what the page implementation code was doing without wading
> through all those LOC.
>
> Don't stuff everything into the closet; get it organized.
>
> Garrett
>
> --
> To view archived discussions from the original JSMentors Mailman list:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/jsmentors@jsmentors.com/
>
> To search via a non-Google archive, visit here:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/jsmentors@googlegroups.com/

I agree, pulling the code out each of the global functions and into separate
namespaced functions is only the first step. Once the code is hidden behind
a wrapper, you can start to pull out functionality from the big balls of mud
and organize them into different namespaces. I suppose you could skip the
step where you pull the code out of the global function and instead just
start refactoring and re-organizing the code in the global function. I often
put things into a namespace so I don't have to worry about testing the
globals.