I've used the "strangler" pattern for similar projects - for Javascript,
Java and .NET. Essentially, this pattern aims to create a parallel system
that functions along side the existing system, which slowly takes over the
responsibilities of the legacy system. This way, if you architect and
develop your new system correctly, will leave you with solid code and a good
foundation, while at the same time, demoting the legacy software to
eventual deprecation. So, next time you are looking to fix a particularly
heinous defect, a deep cut perhaps, think about starting a new system from
scratch that will JUST do what you want the legacy system to do, but, do it
more efficiently, with a design for the future. And then start strangling.