> I'm sorry, there cannot be any "agree to disagree" on this one.  It
> absolutely, incontrovertibly, *does* execute

var module = Module is just creating an alias for Module. Without this line,
the init() method is still called and the module can be accessed through
Module variable.

var a = Module;
a.foo = "bar";
var b = Module;

console.log(a);
console.log(b);

=> Object { foo="bar"}
=> Object { foo="bar"}

So the "var module = Module" line is useless, it's just syntactic sugar if
the original module name is long or hard to remember.