One of the main reasons was separation of meta and application layers.

Take a look at this doc for a thorough explanation of rationale behind new API.

http://wiki.ecmascript.org/lib/exe/fetch.php?id=es3.1%3Aes3.1_proposal_working_draft&cache=cache&media=es3.1:rationale_for_es3_1_static_object_methodsaug26.pdf

--
kangax

Sent from my iPhone