In my process i configure one file that has the list of the files on the
packages.

in the company i currently work we use ruby

so we have a yaml file as the config file for jammit (the gem that packages the
files)

we list all the files and its dependencies manually (this file is only updated
like once a month)

in our deployment process we run jammit and and the gem provides us with
methods that include the files.

on development includes all development files for debugging
on production and staging includes packaged files