I'm maybe 150 pages into it, and it seems like a very good book. It
came highly recommended in the research I did, but if you go that
route make sure to get the 4th edition and not the 5th edition.
Apparently in the latest, the authors concentrate on their own library
and don't focus on the fundamentals as much.

I'd say the biggest drawback of the book (other than the fact that the
examples are all C++ and I can't even get them to compile because they
rely on some outdated components) is that the first half, while
teaching the concepts pretty well, uses the fixed pipeline. This
doesn't seem to have a corallary in WebGL, which as far as I can tell
makes exclusive use of the programmable pipeline. I get the impression
that it will help in understanding the programmable pipeline later in
the book, though.

Knowing what I know now, I might have instead bought a book that
focused exclusively on OpenGL ES 2.0. In fact, the OpenGL ES 2.0
Programming Guide has a website that has added examples that use WebGL
(http://opengles-book.com/). I might buy that one now too.

- Joe