At 5:05 AM -0600 12/16/99, Jari Worsley wrote:
>How much work have others done with custom tags? How stable is the spec ? I
>am using
>SJSP as the JSP implementation, with Apache 1.3.9 and JServ in support
>(plus jdk
>1.1.6). Seems ok at the start, I'm wondering if anyone has found any
>"gotchas" later
>on?

Jari,

I just finished building a small custom tag library using the Tomcat
implementation. It was done for a book I'm writing, so I ended up
using just about every part of the custom tag API, and never ran into
anything I would consider a "gotcha".

This is not to say I don't see any room for improvement. The main
weakness I noticed was that TagExtraInfo doesn't have access to
enough of the translation-time environment to do as much tag
validation as I'd like.

Beyond that, by using inspection and reflection it seems pretty clear
to me that the custom tag API fulfils one of its primary promises of
enabling you to completely eliminate Java code from your JSP pages.

>Does anyone know if it's possible/ desirable to extend the JSP tld and
>implementation
>directly? (or is this something that is SJSP implementation dependent?).

I'm not sure I understand the question here, perhaps because I'm not
familiary with SJSP. Could you elaborate on how you want to extend
the TLD and/or the implementation?

- Mark A. Kolb                          Staff Engineer
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]                  Tivoli Systems Inc.
   http://www.cross-site.com             (512) 436-1955