I tried doing this recently and stopped when other priorities intruded.
I found one article showing how to do this using a servlet instead of JSP:

        "Servlets and XSL" by Benoît Marchal (www.pineapplesoft.com)
        Published at developer.iplanet.com

I think webreference.com's section on XML might also help.

When I stopped, I had a JSP that was actually XML w/ embedded Java.  This
appears to work just fine.  The hard part was "routing" the resulting XML
through a stylesheet process.  I was using "tomcat" (the new servlet engine
that is part of the Apache project; it was Sun's Java Web Server in a
previous life - see the "jakarta" project).  I tried setting up the server
to always run any XML through a servlet that applied an XSL stylesheet to
generate HTML.  This worked fine if I requested a static XML page in a
browser.  But I could not get the JSP output to route through the same
servlet.

Any ideas on how to make this work, with tomcat or any other server??

I also looked into "servlet chaining", but discovered in a recent thread on
the jakarta users list that this feature was removed from tomcat because it
was a hack, but people are considering other ways to do the same thing, but
hopefully within the servlet API itself.  Not sure where this idea is
heading....

If you figure this problem out, I'd love to hear what you do.

Good luck,
dean

Dean Wampler, Ph.D.
System Design Engineer

Mercata, Inc.
110 110th Ave. NE
Bellevue, WA 98004-5840
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.mercata.com
(425)468-9723

I want my tombstone to say:
  "Unknown Application Error in DeanWampler.exe.
  Application Terminated"