That is also my categorisation.

The current thoughts (all to be validated in the expert gropus) are:

* do (IV) in the standard tag library
* do (III) in the container by providing the mechanism at the Servlet
layer, and perhaps provide a way to access it from JSP.
* II requires finalizing the XML view of a JSP page, so we will look at
this in the JSP spec.

One additional disadvantage of (IV) on the current Servlet spec is that
I only know how to implement it by doing a new client request (so we can
get hold of the XML doc source and apply the transformation -- I am
assuming the source is given as a URL).  This we also want to address in
Servlet 2.3.

Hope this helps,

        - eduard/o