> ColdFusion has an advantage that it has a low learning curve. I am not as
> experienced with JSP to comment on the relative speed of development.
Since
> CF is easier to learn an application can be developed quickly.

When I think about scalable JSPs, I still think of another two tiers of
application development (services and database) that has to be written, with
JSPs just being the first tier (presentation).  So an entire application is
generally not written in JSP, but JSP is used to control the dynamic
presentation and delivery of information returned by the other two tiers of
code that has to be written.

In highly scalable web systems, it seems that the need for a huge number of
web/presentation systems are often needed to handle all of the connections
from web browsers, and the net connections tend to be slow, causing each
transaction/tcp socket to be open for "a long time."  The other two tiers
often run on bigger iron and respond "very quickly" to the presentation tier
which then has to stream out the data back to the client over the relatively
slow net link (slow compared to the links within the server farm).

Does CF combine the "three tiers" (presentation, business logic/services,
database) into a single platform?  Multi-tier systems tend to handle changes
better, such as the inclusion of a desktop app or java applet as a client,
or a switch to using phone-based (WAP or DTMF) or PDA-based front ends --
that is, anything that is NOT a web browser, which is just one of the many
front ends used by people these days.

> In terms of performance ColdFusion has to be parsed to the CFusion Server.
If
> your application has been coded keeping performance in mind then it should
> not be a problem. I have recoded most applications to improve performance
> with great results. Jsp has to be compiled into servlets which may be a
> performance issue sometimes(correct me if I am wrong).

JSPs are compiled once -- unless they are changed.  Is that the same for CF,
or does CF reparse each time (ala ASP).

> ColdFusion servers can be scaled and managed easily.
> gautam

I've heard this from others.  What really big web sites are run on CF?  It's
unfortunate that this sort of technical information is not more easily
obtained for all sorts of technologies.  Our industry doesn't like to share
information about chosen platforms and architectures, which makes it hard to
increase the general knowledge about these things.

David