If you want to use M$ SQL server, I think you should use NT.
If you don't do stupid things, performance will be OK.
It's possible that you could have better performance with linux or freeBSD,
 but the difference is small and can only be noticed on very busy sites.
Very busy is IMO +1M hits/day. If you have that type of website, I guess you
have
the possibilities to perform a detailed study about what server to use as
well ;-)
IMHO The choice of webserver/ servlet engine is much more important than the
OS.

Geert 'Darling' Van Damme