As someone else said..are you looking for JSP/Servlet engine only? Or do you
plan to move to EJB as well? I think overall Orion app server
(www.orionserver.com) is a hard to beat product given its performance,
price, ease of setting up, full J2EE implementation, and so on. Resin is a
very good jsp/servlet engine without the middle-tier capabilities. JRun 3.0
isn't bad either as a servlet/jsp engine. Tomcat is decent and its free. I
thinkt he combo of Tomcat 4 (when it comes out) and JBoss will be hard to
beat. They are both open-source free products and there is tight integration
via Tomcat 4 and JBoss 2. JBoss 2 is a great EJB app server that is very
scalable and has a full featured plugin capability, as well as is built
around the JMX for administration of just about everything. Tomcat 4,
although I haven't read anything on it other than on the JBoss page, is said
to have direct JVM integration with JBoss 2, which will make EJB calls from
Servlets much faster than the other method..over the network. I believe this
is only if you run Tomcat and JBoss on the same server though.

WebLogic 6 is nice, but at $17,000 per cpu per server, its far from
affordable. I also find it a pain in the rear to develop with..mainly
because it takes about a minute to restart. Our web-app isn't taking
advantage of hot-deploy though..so its possible we don't need to restart it
and it would be much faster.

WebSphere..bah..they are behind the times. Being that IBM is so active in
the Java community I am really surprised their app server is such a beast to
work with and does not yet support Servlet 2.2/JSP 1.1 (unless a new version
came out recently that does). I would think they would be up on top of the
list of J2EE supporters.

iPlanet is another one to watch as it is directly from Sun (via the Netscape
alliance). However, at $25,000 per cpu per server, it is the most expensive
one, and seems to have alot of problems still.

I personally use Orion for development because it is so fast, including
restarting it. Orion and Resin are the only two servlet/jsp engines (Orion
being a full fledged J2EE app server all in one) that support a nice
development feature in which you point a "source" dir to your source, and
every time you make a change in ANY class, it will save, recompile and
reload the web-app for you. Most other app servers and servlet engines
simply reload servlets that are in the servers classpath. Orion and Resin go
a step further.