Troy, I'd suggest you not use the JSTL SQL tags, ever, because that embeds
activity into your JSP that really, desperately shouldn't be there. It's one
thing to do so in a hacked-together app that has a short lifecycle or is
understandably and vibrantly underarchitected, but to do so in a production
application is... a scary thought.

SQL tags are the sort of thing I'd really hoped the JSTL would have avoided.

>From: "Campano, Troy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: JSTL and Connection Pooling
>Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 15:55:11 -0400
>
>         Hello,
>I am having a problem trying to figure out JSTL with connection pooling.
>I am using Tomcat. I understand that <sql:setDataSource> can't handle
>connection pooling.
>

>         So I create a datasource the way I always do without JSTL (using
>JNDI).
>I'm having a problem passing that connection to <sql:query>
>I don't know how to use variables in the tags.
>
>         My datasource is called 'ds', but I don't know how to use it with
>sql:query.
>
>         pageScope.ds doesn't work.
>
>         I'm a complete JSTL newbie and totally confused.
>

>         Does anyone have any ideas?
>
>         Below is the code
>

>         thank you for the help!
>

>         Troy Campano
>

>         ------------------------- CODE HERE
>

>         <%@ page contentType="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"
>language="java"
>import="java.sql.*,javax.sql.*,oracle.jdbc.pool.*,javax.naming.*,java.io.*"
>%>
>
>         <%@ taglib prefix="mt"
>uri="http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/mailer-1.0
><http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/mailer-1.0> " %>
><%@ taglib prefix="c"   uri="http://java.sun.com/jstl/core
><http://java.sun.com/jstl/core> " %>
><%@ taglib prefix="sql" uri="http://java.sun.com/jstl/sql
><http://java.sun.com/jstl/sql> " %>
>Step 1: Starting Page<br>
>Step 2: Creating a list of groups to get the report
>

>         <%
>Connection conn = null;
>try
>{
>//**************************************************************************
>***********************
>// Request Connection from Connection Pool
>//**************************************************************************
>***********************
>Context initContext = new InitialContext();
>Context envContext  = (Context) initContext.lookup("java:/comp/env");
>DataSource ds = (DataSource) envContext.lookup("jdbc/ReportManagerPool");
>conn = ds.getConnection();
>//**************************************************************************
>***********************
>%>
>

>         <sql:query dataSource="${pageScope.ds}" var="myresultset"
>sql="SELECT table_name FROM all_tables" />
>

>         <%
>}
>catch(SQLException e)
>{
>  throw new SQLException(e.getMessage());
>}
>
>           finally
>   {
>     if (conn != null)
>         {
>       try
>           {
> [...]

Joseph B. Ottinger       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://enigmastation.com          IT Consultant