heck, one JSR listed AOL (america on-line) as the expert group -- go figure...??

[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Michael Rozlog
Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2004 1:43 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: JSP Tools

Actually, Java is not open.  I don't mean to start a major fight, but the
admission that Java is owned by Sun and the JCP is still mostly controlled
by Sun and it has never been given to any standards committee in actuality
makes it fairly closed.  However, on the hand, Microsoft has submitted the
.NET platform to ECMA standard body and it has a rival / open source
competitor called Mono (owned by Novell) but still open
http://www.mono-project.com/about/mono-roadmap.html.  So from strictly a
standards point of view .NET is technically more open then Java.  By the by,
isn't the fact that Sun sued Microsoft because it made a different version
of Java, which to this day Microsoft has not sued the Mono project for
porting the .NET platform to Linux also sort of a wake up call?

Now as far as making changes to the frameworks in question, I have no doubt
that the JCP is more open to the community then currently is available from
Microsoft.  However, Microsoft makes a great point, by stating that by them
controlling the framework it will not have the bloat like Java, but we will
have to wait and see... because as they add more features the .NET platform
it will expand and may very well become bloated, just like Java is today.

Mike