We currently have a backup plugin and a restore script that are entirely
divorced from the rest of the codebase, and are therefore prone to breaking
if core changes.

Moonstone has been tasked with recreating backup and restore as first class
citizens of juju.

One of the complaints about the current backup is that it requires you to
stop your mongo database while we copy the data out of it.  This means you
can't modify your juju environment until backup is complete (note that it
would not actually interrupt the deployed services).

There had been some talk about various ways we can avoid the disruption via
different methods.

Here's my proposal:

Let's leave it as-is.

Here's why I think it's ok:

For small environments, the amount of data to backup is going to be small,
and therefore the interruption will be short.  In addition, small
environments aren't likely to be adversely affected by a short outage,
since it only affects the juju state server, not any of the deployed
services.  And small environments should need less interaction with juju in
general.

For large environments which may take a long time to back up, they will
likely be in HA mode, which means they have 2 or more replica servers in
addition to the main server.  In this case, you can just stop one of the
replica servers, and back up that, with no actual interruption to juju at
all.

Then the only case that is really a problem is large environments which are
not using HA, which should be something we discourage, and uninterrupted
backup can be a way to  show the benefits of HA.

Thoughts?

-Nate