Hello Andrew,

I ran into a problem when Juju was no longer calling "apt-get update".  I
filed bug:  https://bugs.launchpad.net/juju-core/+bug/1336353

The problem appears to be the apt metadata was out of date and the charms
that call "apt-get install ..." in the install hook fail.  We also saw this
problem on a different system where the cloud image was out of date and the
install hook failed because no apt-get update was run.

Not calling apt-get update will break a large number of existing charms and
needs to be fixed.

It looks like we have 2 problems:

1)  Juju should provide a way to turn on or off the apt-get update.  I
would suggest an environment variable to enable or disable "apt-get update".

2)  Juju does not manage the local cloud image found in
/var/cache/lxc/cloud-<series>/ directory.  The image I was using was older
(05/28/2014) and that is why the apt-get meta data was out of date.  Not
quite sure how to solve this, someone suggested a cron job to download the
lastest cloud image in the background.  Someone else mentioned this is a
security issue if the stale image does not have a patch and is not updated
we could have an issue.

This is not the experience we want to give to Juju users.  As developers we
should be able to turn off apt-get update for our own development purposes,
but leave it on so existing charms work.

I am willing to help resolve these two problems.  Please reach out to
mbruzek on irc or email me directly.  Thanks,

   - Matt Bruzek <matthew.bru...@canonical.com>