The front page of 12factor.net says "offering maximum portability between
execution environments" ... that's exactly what I'm going for.

We're going to support Windows. Windows does not have rsyslog or logrotate.
 We *have* a solution which is cross platform.

My main concern is that if we use rsyslog on linux and something else on
Windows, now we're supporting and maintaining two things, when they could
both be the same.  Why support two things when you can support just one?

I'm sure writing to stdout and redirecting to a logfile that gets watched
by rsyslog is the linux devop standard.  But it has also proved annoyingly
complex for us to configure and maintain. We've wasted several developer
*weeks* of time getting it to work right.

Why would we continue to maintain the rsyslog stuff when it has been such
trouble for us?  Just because it's the standard, doesn't mean it's the
right tool for this specific job.

I talked with Ian about this a little this morning, and my suggestion was
that we give users a way to turn off our in-app log rotation and let them
set it up themselves external to the app (with rsyslog or whatever they
like).... I just don't want to have to configure it or support it.

-Nate