Ian asked me to post my thoughts here.

I am not in favour of applications rolling their own logs, I believe
that applications should not know anything about their log output,
they should just dump it all to stdout and another process should take
care of shuttling the data, logging it, culling it, whatever.

This is summarised here, http://12factor.net/logs

I think our current system with rsyslog is working fine and there is
no reason to remove it.

The problems with all-machines.log being to large is independent of
log rolling or any of these other arguments. We simply log too much.
There would be no request for log rolling it all-machines.log
contained only useful data.

Dave