On 27/08/14 14:56, John Meinel wrote:
> My personal vote would be:
> a) Use something that can write directly to multiple syslog receivers over
> a TLS encrypted connection from inside the jujud binary (e.g. don't use
> rsyslog to read the log files and forward them on to the state servers, but
> just write directly)

I may be misremembering, but at the time that was the preferred approach. But
then someone said Go's inbuilt syslog APIs were broke, so the compromise was to
use rsyslog forwarding.

Does anyone else recall why it may have been said that Go's syslog APIs are
broken?

> I'd actually like to continue keeping a log file on local disk, as it can
> help diagnose when the problem is that you are failing to connect to
> somewhere else.

Big +1 IMHO. I've always been a fan of logging to a text file readable in vi,
emacs, whatever. Lowest common denominator is often the only option for
debugging. I have no issue with logging elsewhere also, but can we please keep
the log file as well.