Ok,

force-downgrade doesn't seem to work:
ubuntu@maascontroller:~$ juju upgrade-charm keystone

ERROR already running latest charm "cs:trusty/keystone-33"
ubuntu@maascontroller:~$ juju upgrade-charm --force keystone
ERROR already running latest charm "cs:trusty/keystone-33"

I ended up removing each unit and re-adding it. This has resolved the
keystone issue.

I have tried that method with another charm (glance):

ubuntu@maascontroller:~$ juju set glance
openstack-origin=cloud:trusty-mitaka
ubuntu@maascontroller:~$ juju upgrade-charm --force glance
                                  Added charm "cs:trusty/glance-30" to the
environment.

that has resulted in exactly the same error:
2016-01-28 22:40:39 ERROR juju-log FATAL ERROR: Could not derive OpenStack
version for codename: mitaka
2016-01-28 22:40:39 ERROR juju.worker.uniter.operation runhook.go:107 hook
"config-changed" failed: exit status 1

So I think the only way is to blew away a service unit and deploy a new one.

kind regards
Pshem