Is upgrading ceph from one source to the other supported as well, or does
the source only work for new deployments?

I did this:
ubuntu@maascontroller:~$ juju upgrade-charm ceph
Added charm "cs:trusty/ceph-43" to the environment.

and then:
ubuntu@maascontroller:~$ juju set ceph  source=cloud:trusty-mitaka

but that didn't really upgrade ceph (monitors in my case):
root@juju-machine-0-lxc-0:~# ceph -v
ceph version 0.94.5 (9764da52395923e0b32908d83a9f7304401fee43)

root@juju-machine-0-lxc-0:~# dpkg -l | grep ceph
ii  ceph                             0.94.5-0ubuntu0.15.10.1~cloud0   amd64
       distributed storage and file system
ii  ceph-common                      0.94.5-0ubuntu0.15.10.1~cloud0   amd64
       common utilities to mount and interact with a ceph storage cluster
ii  libcephfs1                       0.94.5-0ubuntu0.15.10.1~cloud0   amd64
       Ceph distributed file system client library
ii  python-ceph                      0.94.5-0ubuntu0.15.10.1~cloud0   all
       Meta-package for python libraries for the Ceph libraries
ii  python-cephfs                    0.94.5-0ubuntu0.15.10.1~cloud0   amd64
       Python libraries for the Ceph libcephfs library

I've jumped onto each machine and manually updated the source to:
deb http://ubuntu-cloud.archive.canonical.com/ubuntu trusty-updates/mitaka
main

and then dist-upgraded the machine and it updated as expected to 9.2:

root@juju-machine-0-lxc-0:~# ceph -v
ceph version 9.2.0 (bb2ecea240f3a1d525bcb35670cb07bd1f0ca299)