>  should it not be a requirement for all promulgated charms to have a
monitoring endpoint

A bit of a nit, but i strongly disagree with the verbiage here. This should
be a best practice. Not every charm developer is going to know Nagios, and
its unlikely they are going to spend the time figuring out how to hook it
up without some massive incentive.

With that being said...

If we can enable this to be a short-story for every charm author, we should
run this down and tackle it, throw money at it, and make it the best
experience for "instant monitoring" ever.

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 6:45 AM Tom Barber <t...@analytical-labs.com> wrote:

> There was a chat we had over dinner at ApacheCon that I figure would be
> worth bringing up on the list, which was todo with what makes charms
> "production ready"
>
> Charms that have been signed off in the review queue are generally
> accepted to be of higher quality than ones that haven't(or at least have
> been validated by those in the know). So people new to the platform will
> naturally gravitate towards these charms. But does it make them production
> ready?
>
> A couple of questions that cropped up were, even though charms have been
> reviewed, it doesn't make the them infallible and if people new to the
> platform install MySQL for example and it fails before they've even
> started, they'll just spin up a box and apt-get it because what's the
> point, right? :) So mitigating that risk is one thing.
>
> Another point that cropped up was, monitoring. Obviously Charles and co
> have been working hard on beats, but there are a bunch of industry standard
> monitoring tools out there that sys admins will already use and be happy
> with Nagios, Zabbix etc + the commercial ones. Some charms already have
> Nagios monitoring points, but should it not be a requirement for all
> promulagated charms to have a monitoring endpoint. For example, we use
> Nagios on a bunch of our stuff, I should be able to say "hey, I'm gonna
> install this new charm" and know that I can hook it into our monitoring
> infrastructure without doing anything too crazy.
>
> Its all well and good selling Juju to Developers like myself or CTO's by
> the Ops guys have their "special ways" and making sure that charms fit into
> those ways will be key to adoption.
>
> Tom
> --------------
>
> Director Meteorite.bi - Saiku Analytics Founder
> Tel: +44(0)5603641316
>
> (Thanks to the Saiku community we reached our Kickstart
> <http://kickstarter.com/projects/2117053714/saiku-reporting-interactive-report-designer/>
> goal, but you can always help by sponsoring the project
> <http://www.meteorite.bi/products/saiku/sponsorship>)

Juju Charmer
Canonical Group Ltd.
Ubuntu - Linux for human beings | www.ubuntu.com