Le mercredi 15 janvier 2014 à 00:17 -0800, Tobias Knopp a écrit :
> @Stefan: Is there a good reason to promote Int32 operations to the
> native mashine type? Sorry, if this has already discussed in depth.
> But for me it feals wrong to automatically upcast integer operations.
> I think that the type should keep stable and that this is more
> important than overflow issues.
Yeah, that's hard to guess what to do by default. With Int32 preserving
the type when summing might be reasonable (though not always), but if
somebody uses e.g. Uint8 to save space when there are many observations
with small counts, the sum should really use a different type.

But maybe it would be better to preserve the type, and let people use an
accumulator of a different type if they need it. If they are using a non
standard integer length, they must now what they are doing.

Related to this discussion:
https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/issues/5311

Regards