I think the greedy solution is both behaviors? =D

Is it possible to give the option to the user?  Maybe a keyword argument
for each variable or some other notation?  Example

a::Int32
b::_Int32_

so a & b are both Int32, but one allows promotion, the other doesn't?  (or
some other symbol/keyword...)  Just a greedy suggestion...

(and some sort of rule when you do a+b?  idk haha)

I'm writing a Cython reader for a custom file converter (and wishing Julia
was more mature, since I'm a long time Matlab user).  I need a lot of
bit-masking and using pointers with a lot of explicit casting to the input
mmap file.  So for me personally, right now, I think I'd want or even need
to have variables be the type I specify.  (Example, I've been accessing
individual bytes instead of using shifts whenever possible, because it
seemed a bit faster when I benchmarked it.  On a Big Endian arch, promotion
might give me hard to track down errors?  Maybe?).