On Thursday, April 24, 2014 11:57:33 PM UTC-7, Tomas Lycken wrote:

> And as soon as you start working with complex analysis, I'm not entirely
> sure the trapezoidal rule is valid at all. It might just be because the
> article author was lazy, but the Wikipedia article only talks about
> integrals of real-valued functions of one (real, scalar) variable. If you
> need complex numbers for something more than curiosity about Julia's type
> system, you probably want another approach altogether...

The trapezoid rule is valid in complex analysis, and in fact, it converges
exponentially for integrals around a circular contour for functions that
are analytic in an annulus containing the contour. Trefethen has a
beautiful paper on this subject:

https://people.maths.ox.ac.uk/trefethen/trefethen_weideman.pdf

This exponential convergence also applies for periodic functions integrated
over a full period on the real line, for the same reasons.