Of course in this case, it's easy to build the CSC arrays directly instead
of the (row, col, val) triples. I updated my gist. The construction of the
sparse matrix using a direct call to SparseMatrixCSC now takes 2.6e-6
seconds! This is still with vec_len=70,000. Here are the timings:

elapsed time: 4.478248647 seconds (6306447880 bytes allocated) # using push!
elapsed time: 0.682337676 seconds (1176000328 bytes allocated) # using
arrays and @inbounds
elapsed time: 0.713211454 seconds (1176000328 bytes allocated) # arrays,
@inbounds and @simd
elapsed time: 4.46453756 seconds (1570811024 bytes allocated)  # build
sparse()
elapsed time: 0.504590721 seconds (784560344 bytes allocated)  # build CSC
arrays with @inbounds and @simd
elapsed time: 2.668e-6 seconds (96 bytes allocated)         # build
SparseCSCMatrix