If you're looking for a consistent API between 2D and 3D it might be worth
taking some inspiration from Gadfly – I don't know how easy it would be to
extend the Grammar of Graphics style interface to 3D but if you can it
would be a solid base to build on (alongside a more matlab-style API, I
suppose).