Hi

I am one of the authors of the paper :)

Our first version of the code did not declare types. It was thanks to
Florian's suggestion that we started doing it. We discovered, to our
surprise, that it reduced execution time by around 25%. I may be mistaken
but I do not think there are type-stability problems. We have a version of
the code that is nearly identical in C++ and we did not have any of those
type problems.