I think this problem must be resolved by better practices among package
maintainers: in short, the goal must be that as long as you only use (the
latest) tagged versions of any packages, everything should Just Work (TM).
That means, in short, that if a package maintainer adds functionality that
depends on some specific addition to a different package, it is up to that
package maintainer to make sure *not* to tag a new version until the
dependency package has tagged one, in which the new behavior is included,
so the dependency can be correctly specified.

To exemplify, let's say that package `A` depends on package `B` version
0.1. Now `B` adds new behavior on master, changes an API or makes some
other change that `A` wants to utilize. `A` can start using this on master
directly, but must make sure not to tag a new version until `B` has done
so, so that `A` can also add the new version number of `B` to its
dependencies. That way, the package manager will always be able to figure
it out. My impression is that this doesn't always happen, although mostly
it does - and in the few cases where it doesn't, filing an issue to `A` or
`B` usually has the problem fixed quite quickly (i.e. as soon as the
maintainers get a whiff of it).

And of course, as soon as you start checking out master versions of *any
package whatsoever*, you're basically saying to the package manager that
"hey, chill - I'll figure it out". So then, don't be surprised if you have
to help it out sometimes =)

// T