Dear Julia users,

Thank you for all your thoughtful replies on this matter.  Indeed, you are
all correct, and I misunderstood the construct.  (The point that confused
me was that in the call (i,state)=next(I,state), I mistakenly assumed that
the returned "state" should correspond with returned data item "i", when in
fact the proper approach is for the data item "i" to correspond to the old
"state" and to lag one position behind the returned "state".)  I no longer
think there is a problem with the start/done/next paradigm in Julia.

--- Steve Vavasis