Thanks guys. So to clarify: FloatingPoint is not a concrete types, so
explicitly defining variables or function inputs using it will not speed
things up. Instead, I should use Float64, Float32, etc.

Is Int an abstract type as well? I'm wondering if I should go back and
rename everything my_var::Int to my_var::Int32.

John: I couldn't find the mutate!() function in the Julia Standard Library
v0.3. Do you mean my own function that mutates the source array?