Your example involves two tricky issues: slice behavior and the fact that,
despite appearances, A += b is not in-place. See issues #3424, #3217, and
precedents they link to.

I'd be interested in hearing more detail about how using slice gets nasty; as
you say, from this example slice doesn't look so bad. In trying to fix this, we
want to make sure we're aware of all the issues.

--Tim