On Tuesday, 2 September 2014 19:12:01 UTC+1, Stefan Karpinski wrote:

> Are slices in Julia any worse than in Matlab? If so, what does Matlab do
> that's better? I agree that our current slicing needs improvements (they
> are planned), but it is largely due to its Matlab heritage.

I did not mean to apply that Julia is worse in this respect. Off the cuff,
I would say slicing is no better or worse than in matlab. And, for the
record, slicing multi-dimensional arrays in Matlab has been driving me mad
for some quite some time.

I've skimmed the discussions in the "issues" lists on github, and I very
much liked the idea of  distinguishing
from
until I remembered that I want
    a[i,:]
to be a row-vector.  But I can't have the cake and eat it too.

Is there a consensus yet what the final slicing behaviour will be?

--Christoph