It sounds like you've looked for a type problem and not found one. One last
thing to check is that there's no more memory allocation than you'd expect
given the size of your temporaries (which seem to be Aold, dA, and w). You can
use `julia --track-allocation=user testfile.jl` to see if there are any other
lines allocating memory.

Assuming the answer is no, you can be pretty confident that you don't have a
type problem. Then I'd ask, have you also checked that the two implementations
are actually doing the same amount of work? It wouldn't be the first time that
one implementation was doing more iterations (or something) than another.

For most uses, Julia really does give performance within a small factor of C,
so you're right to suspect that there must be something wrong.

--Tim