+1 to addering to the git flow, I had also allways expected for the master
branch to be as stable and possible, while development happening in another
branch, not the other way around and sometimes I've had to search for a
past working commit in order to build julia, which strikes me as odd, as
you guys really follow good development techniques.

Would it be difficult to change this, maybe for a post 0.4 era?